5 Incentives to Adopt, Don’t Shop and Save a Pet’s Life
It’s no secret that your pet does much to bring joy and comfort to your life. However, when you decide to get a new pet the simple act of where you find your new companion can make a big difference as well.
Though some people may have valid reasons for choosing to purchase a pet from a breeder, in many instances adopting a pet from a shelter or other adoption service is an incredible choice. With Change a Pet’s Life Day on January 24 we want to look at some of those incentives and why you may choose to adopt the next time you look to bring a new furry friend into the family.
Also, because we are based in Kansas City we’re sharing several local animal rescues as well one national one. Be sure to local for local rescues in your area.
1. It’s Cost Efficient – Whereas purchasing a new cat or dog from a breeder can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars, adopting a pet from a shelter is much less expensive. That leaves new pet owners a lot more money to spend on taking care of their new companion – including getting them spayed or neutered if necessary, getting their shots and getting them all the accessories they need, such as a J’adore custom pet bed.
2. It Fights Puppy Mills – You’ve probably heard a lot about puppy mills already. However, you may be surprised to learn that it’s just as much a problem now as it has ever been. Many seemingly legitimate breeders selling puppies through means such as Internet ads are often connected to puppy mills. It’s far better to combat this problem by rescuing your new pet.
3. It Makes Room for Other Animals in Need – It’s important to remember that when you adopt from a shelter, in addition to giving a pet a home you are making room for more animals to get off the streets and to find their own forever homes. It’s one of the best possible reasons to adopt. To get started, you can check out these Kansas City area animal shelters.
4. It Saves a Life – It’s an unfortunate reality that too few people consider adoption when seeking a new pet. Over 2.7 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year in the United States alone because shelters fill up too quickly and there are not enough foster homes that are capable of taking in animals until a forever home is ready for them.
5. You’ll Get a Great New Pet – Every pet is amazing, but there is something special about adopted pets. Whether you adopt a purebred pet from a rescue organization or a mutt from a local shelter, it will almost feel like fate that brought you and your pet together.
On top of all that, you’ll have a ton of fun things to do with your new companion, whether that’s hiking and camping with a new pup, relaxing with your new cat as you read a good book, or posting tons of selfies of you and your pet together online. It’s easy to see why adopting is a great idea. All that leaves is finding the right organization to help you in your search for a terrific pet.
Numerous fantastic Kansas City animal shelters can help you find the right pet. You can also get in touch with many rescue organizations. Kitty City is a great place to start if you’re seeking a cat, while Chain of Hope caters to both cats and Dogs. You can also check out Petfinder to browse pets of all kinds in your area.
At J’adore we wish you luck in finding a new furry family member if you’re looking, and hope to see you soon as you shop for a J’adore Throne Bed for the new King or Queen in your house.